Today is Friday, May 20, 2022

Planning a jubilee street party? Here's what you need to know

Are you planning to hold a jubilee street party to celebrate the Queen's platinum jubilee in June? Tendring District Council says there are some rules to follow if you want to hold an event legally and safely. With the big day not far away, you need to be getting applications in now.

Road Closures

So that you can safely hold your party in the street, you will need to apply for a road closure order.  Please email [email protected] or send a letter to Tendring District Council, PO Box 8259, Clacton-on-sea, Essex, CO15 6WZ) requesting the road closure and giving date/times (to/from), exact location with a map if possible and reason for closure (i.e. street party).

The council will then notify the emergency services, bus and taxi firms (if relevant) and any other interested parties.  They are given the chance to comment prior to the order being raised.  We will then display the order in the street on lamp posts. There's no charge for temporary road closures and the council does not insist on risk assessments, but suggests that if you are hiring things like bouncy castles you to ensure that the operators have the relevant risk assessments and insurance.

Depending on the size and type of your event ou may also want to consider public liability insurance.  The Streets Alive website gives more advice about taking out insurance.

Alcohol and Licences

If alcohol is involved in the party then you may need a licence.  Please contact the licensing team by email: [email protected] or telephone 01255 686565, fax: 01255 686343. If you are in any doubt contact the council for advice.

The Clean Up!

After all the fun of the party, there is always the clean up to think about and the council would be very grateful if you could let our waste collection contractors, Veolia, know about your event by contacting them on 01255 431620.  If your event falls on the day your street normally has its waste collected Veolia can make sure that it can still collect your normal waste and recycling.  And party hosts are reminded to clear up and properly dispose of any litter or waste.

Let us know

If you're holding a street party or another jubilee-related event (or any local event) let us know and we'll tell the town. You'll find our events form here – and here's a link to the first of  three events being held in Brightlingsea Museum.

Comment on this story

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
 Get the newsletter
Don't miss the latest Brightlingsea news and information. Sign up for the Brightlingsea Info newsletter and stay up to date. Delivered once a week direct to your inbox. No spam guaranteed and you can unsubscribe at any time.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
 our aims
• To be a trusted source of unbiased news and information;
• To promote local businesses, organisations and events;
• To encourage a sense of community in Brightlingsea.
Support us by subscribing to the newsletter, sending news and information, adding events to the events diary and listing businesses and clubs in the Town Directory. 

Complaints Procedure
Brightlingsea Info endeavours to adhere to the Editors Code of Practice. Our complaints procedure can be seen here.
 contact us
Brightlingsea Info,
 c/o Big Red Web Design, 
7 Marennes Crescent, 
Essex CO7 ORX.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram